PLANNING COMMISSION AGENDA
REGULAR MEETING SEPTEMBER 16, 2015
CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, 6:30 P.M.
CALL TO ORDER. Chair Robert Dickerson
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE.
ROLL CALL. Commissioners Adrian Andrade, Rodger Brown, Maribel Hernandez, Fred Quigley and Chair Robert Dickerson
APPROVAL OF PLANNING COMMISSION MINUTES OF SEPTEMBER 2, 2015.
PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD. (not to exceed a total of 15 minutes)
Each member of the audience may address the Commission on any subject within the Commission’s business. Each member of the audience and each subject is limited to discussion of three minutes or as otherwise directed by the Chair.
CONSENT CALENDAR. The consent calendar is approved with one motion. These items are read only on request of Commission members. Should anyone, including members of the public, wish to discuss or disapprove any item, it must be dropped from the blanket motion and considered as a separate item.
1. TEXT AMENDMENTS TO CHAPTER 12-34 (SIGNS) OF THE ZONING ORDINANCE. City-initiated zoning text amendments to Chapter 12-34 (Signs) of Title 12 of the Municipal Code (Z2015-0002).
On September 2, 2015, the Planning Commission approved Resolution No. 2663 to recommend Council approval of Z2015-0002. The Resolution should have been 2664. This proposed action on the September 16, 2015 agenda is to re-number the September 2 action to Resolution No. 2664.
STAFF RECOMMENDATION: By motion, approve the consent calendar.
Next Resolution No: 2665
ORDER OF PROCEEDINGS FOR PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS:
Questions from Commission.
Written communications/public comment.
Applicant closing statement.
Public hearing to be closed.
2. DOWNS EQUIPMENT RENTALS PLANNED DEVELOPMENT PERMIT LOCATED EAST SIDE OF PREISKER LANE AT ROEMER WAY. Review of a Planned Development Permit (PD2015-0012) for Downs Equipment Rentals to allow a heavy farm and construction equipment rental business, including; one outdoor display space, an outdoor storage yard, and associated parking, landscaping and storm water treatment facilities; on a 1.6 acre site in the PD/CM (Planned Development/ Commercial Manufacturing) zoning district.
STAFF RECOMMENDATION: That the Planning Commission, by motion, approve PD2015-0012.
3. LAZ-E-DAZE BOARDINGHOUSE PLANNED DEVELOPMENT PERMIT AND DEVELOPMENT AGREEMENT AT 1300-1324 NORTH BROADWAY. Review of a Planned Development Permit (PD2014-0010) and Development Agreement (DA2014-0002), for Western Sky Communities, LLC, to 1) revoke 66-U-67, which allowed the Laz-E-Daze Retirement Center; and 2) allow a boardinghouse as a mixed-use project on the 3.99 acre property with 1.71 acres in the R-3 (High Density Residential) and 2.28 acres in the PD/C-2 (Planned Development/General Commercial) districts.
STAFF RECOMMENDATION: That the Planning Commission remove PD2014-0010 and DA2014-0002 from the agenda.
4. VERIZON MONO-TREE PLANNED DEVELOPMENT PERMIT AT 1611 SOUTH BLOSSER ROAD. Review of a Planned Development Permit (PD2014-0006) for Verizon to construct a Mono-Tree at an Arco gas station on a 1.6 acre site in a PD/CC (Planned Development/Convenience Center) district of the Blosser West Specific Plan.
STAFF RECOMMENDATION: That the Planning Commission, by resolution, deny Planned Development Permit PD2014-0006.
5. ZONING ORDINANCE TEXT AMENDMENT FOR FREEWAY TOWER SIGNS AND A FREEWAY TOWER SIGN OVERLAY DISTRICT NEAR THE INTERSECTION OF U.S. 101 AND BROADWAY. Review of a Zoning Ordinance Text Amendments (Z2015-0001) related to freeway tower signs and review of a Zoning Map Amendment for Julius Carstens to place a freeway tower sign overlay district (Z2015-0003) on 24.3 acres.
STAFF RECOMMENDATION: That the Planning Commission :
1. By resolution, recommend City Council approve Z2015-0001, text amendments to the Zoning Ordinance for Freeway Towers; and
2. By resolution, recommend the City Council approve Z2015-0003, an amendment to the Zoning Map to establish a Planned Development/Freeway Tower overlay district on 24.3 acres near Broadway and U.S. Highway 101.
6. DISCUSSION OF STUDY SESSION SCHEDULING. Discussion requested by Commissioner Rodgers.
7. REPORT ON CITY COUNCIL ACTIONS.
8. ORAL REPORTS FROM PLANNING COMMISSION AND STAFF.
Next Study Session: September 24, 2015
Next Public Hearing: October 7, 2015
This agenda is prepared and posted pursuant to the requirements of Government Code Section 54954.2. By listing a topic on this agenda, the Planning Commission has expressed its intent to discuss and act on each item. In addition to any action identified in the brief general description of each item, the action that may be taken shall include: a referral to staff with specific requests for information; continuance; specific direction to staff concerning the policy or mission of the item; discontinuance of consideration; adoption, approval or disapproval or recommendation thereof.
If you challenge a determination made on a matter on this agenda in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues you are someone else raised at the public hearing described on this agenda, or in written correspondence to the Planning Commission at, or prior to, the public hearing.
Materials related to an item
on this agenda submitted after distribution of the agenda packet will be
available for public inspection during normal business hours in the Community
Development Department Office,
To receive reasonable
accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act during the meeting, please
notify the Community Development Department what you need during business
hours at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting. The Community
Development Department office is at
\\CSMs2a\SHARED\Community Development\Planning\PC Agendas\2015\SEPTEMBER 16 PC AGENDA.docx