PLANNING COMMISSION AGENDA
REGULAR MEETING APRIL 5, 2017
CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, 6:30 P.M.
CALL TO ORDER. Chair Robert Dickerson
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE.
ROLL CALL. Commissioners Tom Lopez, Maribel Hernandez, Tim Seifert, Kelly White O’Neill and Chair Robert Dickerson
APPROVAL OF PLANNING COMMISSION MINUTES OF MARCH 15, 2017.
PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD. (not to exceed a total of 15 minutes)
Each member of the audience may address the Commission on any subject within the Commission’s business. Each member of the audience and each subject is limited to discussion of three minutes or as otherwise directed by the Chair.
Next Resolution No: 2722
CONSENT CALENDAR. The consent calendar is approved with one motion. These items are read only on request of Commission members. Should anyone, including members of the public, wish to discuss or disapprove any item, it must be dropped from the blanket motion and considered as a separate item.
1. MAIN STREET COIN LAUNDRY PLANNED DEVELOPMENT PERMIT AT 506 WEST MAIN STREET. Reconsideration of a Planned Development Permit (PD2014-0002) to construct a 2,340-square-foot commercial building for a laundromat on a 0.2 acre site in a PD/C-2 (Planned Development/General Commercial) district, with the intent to revoke expired permit.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Planning Commission, by resolution, revoke Planned Development Permit PD2014-0002.
2. RACQUETBALL CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT AT 310 WEST BETTERAVIA ROAD. Reconsideration of Conditional Use Permit U-88-31 for racquetball courts in a portion of a 7,698-square-foot building on a 0.5 acre site in a CM (Commercial Manufacturing) district, with the intent to revoke the permit.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Planning Commission, by resolution, revoke Conditional Use Permit U-88-31.
3. DETERMINATION OF GENERAL PLAN CONSISTENCY FOR THE SANTA MARIA-BONITA SCHOOL DISTRICT ACQUISITION OF LOT 12 OF TRACT 6000. Request for a determination of General Plan conformity from the Santa Maria-Bonita School District to acquire 10.8 acres in the PF (Public Facilities) district of the Enos Ranchos Specific Plan.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Planning Commission, by resolution, find that the proposed acquisition conforms with the General Plan.
4. ENOS RANCHOS MERCADO PERMIT AMENDMENT AT THE NORTHWEST CORNER OF BETTERAVIA ROAD AND COLLEGE DRIVE. Reconsideration of a Planned Development Permit (PD2011-005) to construct an 80,900-square-foot shopping center on a 7.8 acre site in a PD/C-2 (Planned Development/ General Commercial) district of the Enos Ranchos Specific Plan, for revocation or to approve Permit Amendment A2017-0008 to extend the expiration date.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Planning Commission, by motion, continue the reconsideration of Planned Development Permit (PD2011-005) to the May 17, 2017 public hearing.
5. SUMMARY VACATION OF A PORTION OF LA BREA AVENUE. Determination of General Plan conformance (SP2017-0005) for a summary vacation of a roadway easement along West La Brea Avenue in a PD/C-2 (Planned Development/General Commercial) district of the Blosser-Southwest Specific Plan.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Planning Commission, by resolution, recommend approval of the proposed vacation SP2017-0005.
6. ZACHMANN CHILD DAY CARE CENTER CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT AT 712 EAST CHAPEL STREET. Review of a Conditional Use Permit (U2017-0003) for Dawn Zachmann to allow a Child Day Care Center on a 0.4 acre site in a CPO (Commercial Office and Professional Office) district.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Planning Commission, by motion, approve Conditional Use Permit U2017-0003.
ORDER OF PROCEEDINGS FOR PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS:
Questions from Commission.
Written communications/public comment.
Applicant closing statement.
Public hearing to be closed.
7. PLANNED DEVELOPMENT PERMIT FOR BROADWAY PLAZA AT 1490 SOUTH BROADWAY. Review of a Mitigated Negative Declaration and a Planned Development Permit (PD2016-0009) for the Broadway Plaza project to allow a 7,250-square-foot multi-tenant retail building with drive-through on a 0.4 acre site in a PD/C-1 (Planned Development/Central Business District) district of the Entrada Specific Plan.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Planning Commission:
1. By resolution, adopt a Mitigated Negative Declaration;
2. By motion, approve Planned Development Permit PD2016-0009.
8. SANTIAGO’S CAR WASH PLANNED DEVELOPMENT PERMIT AT 1640 NORTH BROADWAY. Review of a Planned Development Permit (PD2016-0010) for Santiago’s Car Wash to allow a drive through car wash and a 1,670-square-foot commercial building on a 0.5 acre site in the PD/C-2 (Planned Development/General Commercial) district of the Entrada Specific Plan.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Planning Commission, by motion, approve Planned Development Permit PD2016-0010.
9. GENERAL PLAN LAND USE MAP AMENDMENT FOR THE DOWNTOWN SPECIFIC PLAN. Review of a General Plan Land Use Map Amendment (GPZ2017-0001) and Addendum to the Downtown Specific Plan EIR to classify 262 acres within the Downtown Specific Plan from various land use classifications to the Specific Plan (SP) land use classification.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Planning Commission, by resolution, recommend City Council approval of General Plan Land Use Map Amendment GPZ2017-0001.
10. BOONE STREET MARKET GENERAL PLAN LAND USE MAP AND ZONING MAP AMENDMENT AND A DOWNTOWN SPECIFIC PLAN AMENDMENT FOR 417 AND 501 EAST BOONE STREET. Review of a General Plan Land Use Map Amendment and Zoning Map Amendment (GPZ2016-0004) and a Specific Plan Amendment (SPZ2016-0003) to include a 0.2 acre parcel in the Specific Plan (SP) land use classification and to include 1.4 acres in the Railroad Loft District of the Downtown Specific Plan.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Planning Commission take the following actions:
1. By resolution, recommend that the City Council approve a General Plan Land Use Map Amendment and Zoning Map Amendment GPZ2016-0004;
2. By resolution, recommend that the City Council approve a Specific Plan Amendment SPZ2016-0003.
11. ZONING TEXT AMENDMENT FOR TEMPORARY PRODUCE SALES. Review of a Zoning Text Amendment (Z2017-0001) to amend Chapter 12-35 and 12-43 of the City of Santa Maria Municipal Code related to temporary produce sales.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Planning Commission, by resolution, recommend City Council adopt Zoning Text Amendment Z2017-0001.
12. PLANNING COMMISSION DISCUSSION ON COUNCIL DISTRICTING AND THE DOWNTOWN. Planning Commission discussion of the Downtown Specific Plan Area as a factor in the creation of Council districts.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Planning Commission, by motion, authorize the Chairperson to submit a letter to the City Council and consulting demographer related to the inclusion of the downtown area into each Council district.
13. ORAL REPORTS FROM PLANNING COMMISSION AND STAFF.
Next Public Hearing: May 17, 2017.
This agenda is prepared and posted pursuant to the requirements of Government Code Section 54954.2. By listing a topic on this agenda, the Planning Commission has expressed its intent to discuss and act on each item. In addition to any action identified in the brief general description of each item, the action that may be taken shall include: a referral to staff with specific requests for information; continuance; specific direction to staff concerning the policy or mission of the item; discontinuance of consideration; adoption, approval or disapproval or recommendation thereof.
If you challenge a determination made on a matter on this agenda in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues you are someone else raised at the public hearing described on this agenda, or in written correspondence to the Planning Commission at, or prior to, the public hearing.
Materials related to an item on this agenda submitted after distribution of the agenda packet will be available for public inspection during normal business hours in the Community Development Department Office, 110 South Pine Street, Room 101, Santa Maria.
To receive reasonable
accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act during the meeting,
please notify the Community Development Department what you need during
business hours at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting. The Community
Development Department office is at