Animal Licenses

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

You can renew a license or purchase a new license online by using your MasterCard or VISA.

To renew it will be helpful to have your renewal notice and updated rabies certificate.
For a new license, or a renewal when the rabies vaccination has expired a current rabies vaccination certificate is required; it may be uploaded during the online process, or faxed, emailed, or sent by mail. 

If your pet's vaccination is about to expire, have it vaccinated prior to applying for a license.

City of Lompoc residents owning unaltered dogs will need to submit this form: City of Lompoc Exemption     

Making Donations in Conjunction with Online Licensing 

puppy dog eyes   

Santa Barbara County Animal Services accepts donations to help care for the stray and abandoned animals at our 3 shelter locations.  You can make a donation online.  Thank you for using our Online services. 
Click on the button below to go to the online services.


Show your pets you love them. Get them licensed!
Licensing saves lives! Each year thousands of animals end up in animal shelters without any form of identification. Without identification we are unable to reunite them with their families. Purchasing a license for your pet is like having an inexpensive life insurance policy for your pet. If your pet comes into one of our shelters wearing his or her license they will be held for a longer period of time while we make every effort to reunite you with your pet. 

Who needs a Santa Barbara County Pet License?
The law requires that all dogs over the age of four months must be vaccinated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian. A dog license must then be purchased within 30 days of receiving the rabies vaccine. Santa Barbara County Animal Services issues dog licenses for all cities within Santa Barbara County and all unincorporated areas, with the exception of the Cities of Santa Barbara and Carpinteria. New residents and guardians in Santa Barbara County must purchase a dog license within 30 days. The term of the license can be one, two, or three years based on your address within the county and the expiration date of your dog's rabies vaccine. We cannot license past the expiration date of the rabies vaccine. 

How is licensing my pet beneficial?
Found pets wearing licensing can be reunited quickly with their families.
Your lost pet can be brought directly home without having to come through our animal shelter.
If your lost pet comes into our shelter wearing their license they will be taken care of for a longer period of time while our dedicated staff exhausts every option in an effort to reunite you.
Your pet's license is proof of a current Rabies vaccination. If your pet is ever involved in a bite, vaccination & licensing may allow him to be quarantined at home instead of at our shelter or a veterinary facility.
Keeping your pets Rabies vaccination current protects your pet & your family's health!
License fees help to support the reunion of thousands of lost pets with their families as well as the adoption of pets to their new families. License fees also assist in supporting vital services such as spay/neuter programs and special medical needs for the animals that come in to our shelters. 

How can I license my pet?
Mail: You can download and print out the Animal License Form. You can then mail in the form along with a copy of your pet's current rabies vaccination certificate, a copy of your pet's spay or neuter certificate, and a check for the appropriate license fee based on the duration of the license you are requesting. Please remember that we can only license up to the expiration date of the rabies vaccine. Please make your check or money order payable to Santa Barbara County Animal Services.

In Person: You can come in to any one of our three Santa Barbara County Animal Services shelter locations: in Santa Maria at 548 W. Foster Rd., in Lompoc at 1501 West Central Ave., and in Goleta at 5473 Overpass Rd. We will be happy to see you and issue you and your pet a license or license renewal. When you come in please bring a copy of your pet's current rabies certificate and proof of spaying or neutering. We can accept Visa, Master Card, Cash, Check or Money Order.

What does a license for my pet cost? 

License Fees 6 mos. 1 yr 2 yr 3 yr

*unaltered $45 $80 $140 $200

altered $13 $25 $48 $74

*senior unaltered $32 $49 $80 $116

senior altered $11 $22 $35 $52

*unaltered cat

*senior unaltered

Late Penalty

Unaltered $35

Altered $17

Optional Cat License - Altered- 3 years or term of rabies vaccination $17.00

* Requires signed Veterinary Certificate in Unincorporated County, City of Solvang, City of Buellton.

* Senior discount applies to persons 65 years or over


Duplicate tag $9 

  *requires signed Veterinary Certificate in
   Unincorporated areas
   Senior discount applies to persons 65 years or over












What are the acceptable forms of proof that my pet is spayed or neutered?

  • A sterilization certificate from the veterinarian that performed the surgery or examined your pet to verify that he or she is altered.
  • A previous license receipt that has your pet listed as spayed or neutered
  • A current Rabies Certificate indicating that the pet is altered.


How can I get a rabies vaccine for my pet?
Contact your pet's veterinarian.
There are a number of low cost vaccination clinics in our area.
Does my pet need vaccinations and a license even if they are kept in my yard or in my home? 

All dogs need to be vaccinated and licensed in the city or county in which they live, even if they are “indoor only” pets, it's the law. Your pet's license is an added insurance policy that will help get them home if they do get out. Many “in-door only” dogs and dogs that are kept in securely fenced yards frequently get out and come into our shelters. Your pet's license helps to ensure that you & your pet can be reunited. Licenses are an inexpensive form of identification for your pet's safety & protection. License revenue also assists us in reuniting other lost pets with their families and helps to provide adoption services for homeless pets. 

Has your pet lost his license?
If your pet loses his or her license prior to the license expiration date you can purchase a replacement license for $9.00. Please see the section, "How can I license my pet?" for more information. If you are mailing in your payment you do not need to complete an Animal License Form. Mail your request along with your payment and state that you are ordering a replacement tag. Please include your dog's name, address, and telephone number along with your payment of $9.00.  

Did you adopt or inherit a licensed pet? 
Licenses are not transferable, you will need to purchases a license in your own name. 
Cat Licenses
Although the State of California does not require that your cat be licensed, getting a license for your cat is a good idea. A lost cat with a license tag has a much better chance of being reunited with his or her guardian. To purchase a cat license simply fill out an Animal License Form and send in the form along with your cats proof of rabies vaccination and a payment of $15.00 for a three year altered cat license. Please include proof of spay or neuter


We here at Santa Barbara County Animal Services look forward to serving you. Thank you for being a responsible pet owner and licensing your pet!

Animal Services logo 

Animal Services 
Santa Barbara: 5473 Overpass Road, Goleta, CA 93117 • Telephone: (805) 681-5285(805) 681-5285
Lompoc: 1501 West Central Avenue, Lompoc, CA 93436 • Telephone: (805) 737-7755(805) 737-7755
 Santa Maria: 548 W. Foster Road, Santa Maria, CA 93455 • Telephone: (805) 934-6119(805) 934-6119

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer